Is your neck stiff or in pain?
Joplin Chiropractor For Stiff Neck & Neck Pain
A stiff neck is sometimes just a fact of life. Sitting too long at your desk, sleeping wrong, turning your head too quickly … these can all lead to a bit of temporary pain or discomfort. But when you neck really hurts, that’s when something’s afoot. True neck pain isn’t normal, and you shouldn’t ignore it.
If your neck is so stiff or painful that you have trouble moving it side to side, have extremely limited range of motion, can’t use your arms without causing pain, or are just generally having trouble functioning, it’s time to see a chiropractor.
Whiplash and Other Common Causes of Neck Pain
There are many causes of neck pain. These include:
- Whiplash, which typically occurs when you’re in a vehicle and are hit from behind or hit the car in front of you. The resulting violent motion whips the head back and forth, jarring vertebrae and the discs between them.
- Herniated discs and disc diseases. Discs are the cushioning structures between vertebrae, with firmer outsides and softer insides, like a jelly donut. When they get ruptured (herniated) or degenerate, significant neck pain can result.
- Pinched nerves, which occur when bones or other body parts push on nerves.
- Infections, such as viral throat infections, which can lead to secondary gland swelling.
If you have recently experienced whiplash, or think your neck pain may be stemming from another of these conditions (or something else), you should get a chiropractor’s help.
Should You See a Chiropractor for Neck Pain?
You should definitely see a chiropractor if you have been suffering significant neck pain that hasn’t healed. Signs you need to see someone include:
- Pain and stiffness is not improving
- You have limited range of motion
- You’re taking high doses of over-the-counter pain medication, or are relying on prescription painkillers but aren’t seeing results
- Pain occurs after a car accident
- You feel more significant pain at night or when lifting, turning or other specific motions
How Can a Chiropractor Help?
Chiropractors practice in helping people just like you determine the root causes of their pain and finding the right courses of treatment not only to alleviate the pain, but to treat the problem at its source.
Our chiropractor will start with a physical exam, then order any extra diagnostics that might be required to fully determine the problem. The chiropractor will then perform a series of adjustments and prescribe lifestyle changes and exercises you can do at home to continue to see improvement. Don’t wait to visit a chiropractor, because until you do, your pain is likely to just continue.
Your Chiropractic Solution in Joplin MO
If you’re ready to beat neck pain, come see us at our Joplin MO office. We will treat you like part of our family, helping you move on to a happier, more pain-free life today. Call us at 417-624-4242 to make an appointment with our Joplin MO chiropractor today.