8 Keys of Proper Lifting Technique to Avoid Back Pain and Injury
efore you grab that heavy box, ask yourself, “am I ready to miss work thanks to a herniated disc?”
If the answer is no, don’t risk it.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nearly 40% of all missed workdays are due to shoulder and back injuries. What’s the top reason for these injuries? Overexertion and repetitive trauma which are directly responsible for over 12% of all missed days.
Proper Lifting Technique: What Everyone Needs to Know
You can’t cut all risks of injury on job sites in Joplin or even at home. However, you can learn and practice proper lifting techniques to avoid back pain and injuries.
- Hold heavy items close to your body to evenly distribute the weight throughout your core and leg muscles.
- Don’t ever arch your back to lift even light items. Crouch down and lift with your legs.
- Avoid twisting, reaching, bending, or stretching while holding heavy objects.
- Make sure your workplace isn’t too cold or too hot which can lead to tense or overworked muscles and increase chances of injury.
- Avoid carrying items propped up on one shoulder or under one arm.
- Keep your knees slightly bent to avoid hyper extension.
- Always keep a good grip.
- Lower the load with the same attention and care.
Is it Time for a Spinal Checkup in Joplin?
Dr. Steven Skaggs of Skaggs Chiropractic has over 24 years of experience treating patients throughout Joplin, MO for musculoskeletal injuries ranging from simple to complex trauma.
With professional certifications, training, and experience in trauma, Dr. Skaggs has the skills and expertise patients trust to provide comprehensive yet gentle care.
Keep your back in healthy working order to avoid missed work. Schedule an appointment at Skaggs Chiropractic now at 417-319-2483.