Need Headache Treatment from Holiday Stress? Try These 5 Tips
Holidays and stress go hand in hand.
69% of people report feeling stressed during the holidays citing a lack of time while another 69% blame finances for their seasonal stress.
Headaches and stress create a vicious cycle. It’s hard to figure out which comes first: the stress or the headache. Don’t headaches always seem to pop up at the worst time?
Fortunately, you can follow a few tips to avoid holiday stress and the need for headache treatment.
5 Tips to Reduce Holiday Stress and Avoid Headaches
It’s impossible to remove every ounce of stress from your life. Plus, not all stress is bad. Exercise, for example, is a form of healthy stress. Holidays, while stressful, are generally joyous and fun.
However, the holidays often create much more stress than you’re comfortable managing. When the stress piles on, fluctuating cortisol levels in your brain can trigger migraines and headaches.
Follow these tips to remove some of the stress and manage what’s left:
- Practice saying “no:” People tend to accept more responsibility than they can handle during the holidays. Parties, gifts, cooking, socializing – these all take their toll. Just say “no” when your schedule is full.
- Exercise: Physical activity tells your brain to release feel-good chemicals like dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins while reducing cortisol.
- Try to eat well: Sugar and salt tend to dominate holiday diets which can lead to inflammation and headaches. Squeeze in some room for leafy greens, veggies, and antioxidant-rich foods to fight against inflammation.
- Self-care: Don’t forget to schedule some alone time. Say “goodbye” to the world for a night and take a bath with an enjoyable book.
- Regular chiropractic care: Chiropractic adjustments can help keep your central nervous system healthy and reduce the tension that can lead to headaches.
Comprehensive Headache Treatment in Joplin
Dr. Steven Skaggs has over 24 years of experience helping patients recover from headaches and other central nervous system disorders with all-natural chiropractic care.
Don’t let headaches and migraines ruin your holiday fun! Schedule an appointment at Skaggs Chiropractic in Joplin today by calling 417-624-4242.