Signs You May Have Scoliosis
Scoliosis Treatment with our Joplin Chiropractor
Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine that goes sideways. Scoliosis can be caused by medical conditions such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy; however, since anyone can develop scoliosis, the cause is relatively unknown. In most cases, this condition occurs during a growth spurt, particularly during puberty.
What Are the Symptoms of Scoliosis?
The symptoms of scoliosis vary, depending on the severity of the condition. The most common symptoms include:
- One hip that is higher than the other
- One shoulder blade sticks out more than the other
- An uneven waist
- Uneven shoulders
- Back pain
In severe cases or if the condition is not treated properly, the spine can twist or rotate. When this happens, the ribs on one side of the body will start to stick out.
Who Is At Risk of Developing Scoliosis?
While the cause of this condition is unknown, there are certain factors that can put a person more at risk. These factors include:
- Age: The condition usually comes on when a person has a growth spurt, particularly during puberty. It is highly unlikely that an adult who is done growing will develop scoliosis.
- Sex: While both boys and girls can develop this condition, girls are more likely to have the curve worsen, which would result in the need for treatment.
- Family history: Scoliosis can run in the family.
Are There Complications Associated With Scoliosis?
In most cases, the condition is mild; however, there are potential complications. These include:
- Heart and lung disease: If the condition is severe, the rib cage can press against the heart and lungs, making it difficult to breathe and for your heart to beat.
- Back problems: If you had scoliosis as a child, you are at risk of developing chronic back pain.
- Altered appearance: As the condition worsens, it can cause changes in your stance and your appearance.
How Can our Chiropractor Treat Scoliosis?
If you are an adult who has been living with scoliosis since you were a teen, a chiropractic adjustment can help. A chiropractor can help to reduce the pain and prevent the curvature from worsening. The combination of wearing a supportive back brace and chiropractic care can successfully treat the symptoms.
Schedule an Appointment with our Joplin Chiropractor
If you are suffering from scoliosis as an adult, the professionals at Skaggs Chiropractic, LLC can help. After the first appointment with your Joplin chiropractor, you can start feeling some relief. To schedule an appointment, give us a call today.